Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shimbashi Soba @ Paragon

Shimbashi soba is part of the RE&S Enterprises, which runs a number of Japanese eateries in Singapore such as Kuriya and Ichiban Boshi. The soba shop makes its own fresh soba, with a machine in the shop window that grinds the buckwheat flour. The buckwheat is grown in Tasmania, and a picture in the restaurant shows a picture of the buckwheat fields.

One of my first experiences with soba, was cold zaru soba that I was served as a child when I flew JAL to the United States. It was a new experience for me then, eating noodles cold, but I enjoyed it. This taste for cold soba has stuck with me, and I still eat zaru soba on a regular basis.



I ordered a set that included soft-shell crab, salmon sashimi and unagi, plus the soba. I opted for cold soba. The standard of the sashimi, crab and unagi is typical of what Ichiban Boshi throws out. Pleasant enough, but not fantastic. It is something that fills your stomach, but not something you miss when you are away. The soba was good, but that was about it. I describe it as food prepared without love or pride. It is mass-market, meant to please the wallet. There is even a rewards card that can be used across their group of restaurants.



Rating: 5.5/10
Website: http://www.sobaworld.com.sg/
Address: #B1-41 Paragon, 290 Orchard Road
Phone: 6735 9882
Hours: 1130 hrs - 2200 hrs
Price: $$

No comments:

Post a Comment