Sunday, November 28, 2010

Miharu @ Gallery Hotel

Sapporo Ramen Miharu has quite a cult following, although not everyone seems impressed by their ramen. Some have said that it is over-rated. Their ramen is not made locally, but imported from a well-regarded source in Japan. Having heard the conflicting reports, I decided that I really had to try. I arrived at about 7pm on a Saturday, and the counter seats were empty. Being a single diner, I sat myself there, next to the kitchen. I ordered the Special Blend Miso Ramen, which was promptly delivered to my seat.



The ramen comes with a small sheet of nori, half an ajituke tamago, a good serving of corn and menma, and a slice of chasu. The ramen is also mixed in with beansprouts and sliced onions. For those who like ramen to have bite, I must say that Miharu does that supremely well. In fact, I would rate it as the best ramen texture in Singapore, ahead of Ippudo. Since Miharu is from Hokkaido, they would specialize in miso ramen. The broth is not as rich in miso flavour as Kura, for example, but their broth did have depth and complexity that made the flavour interesting. The chasu was a little on the tough side, and after being spoilt by Santouka's toroniku, it is a little of a let-down, but the ramen makes up for it.

Rating: 8/10
Website: http://www.galleryhotel.com.sg/indulge_sapporo.php
Address: #01-11 The Gallery Hotel, 1 Nanson Road
Phone: 6733 8464
Hours: 1200 hrs to 1500 hrs
1800 hrs to 2100 hrs
Closed on Wednesday
Price: $1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment