Monday, November 22, 2010

Baikohken @ Takashimaya Basement Food Hall

I thought I would try Baikohken after I gave it a miss when I last visited the Basement Food Hall of Takashimaya. The shop has a sister outlet at North Canal Road which has been operating longer than this new outlet. As I placed my order, I asked the waiter what was their specialty. He replied that all Shio Ramen, Shoyu Ramen and Miso Ramen where their specialties. I asked which part of Japan the shop was from (Hokkaido) and decided to go for Miso Ramen.



I was presented with a large bowl that was covered with two large pieces of chasu, scallions, menma and the ajituke tamago. My first thought was that the tamago was over done and the yolks were almost cooked through. The two pieces of chasu were large and generous. I tucked into the ramen and found that it was served with copious quantities of bean sprouts. The tamago was not only overcooked, but tasteless, almost like a hard-boiled egg. The chasu was dry until it was well mixed in with the broth. The menma was also badly done, with poor flavour and texture. The broth, which is usually what makes ramen, was disappointing. There was little taste of miso (the fermented soy), and tasted more of salt and monosodium glutamate. Ramen was also disappointing, with no firmness to bite.

Even though their serving was generous and have a loyalty card, I doubt I will return. Ambience is minimal, since it is all open-concept.

Rating: 5/10
Website: http://www.baikohken.com
Address: #B201-04, B2 Takashimaya Food Hall, Ngee Ann City Tower A, 391 Orchard Road
Phone: 6235 3483
Hours: 1000 hrs - 2130 hrs
Price: $1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment