Monday, October 25, 2010

Ramen Play @ 313@Somerset

Since I seem to be on a ramen review mission, I thought I would try Ramen Play. Ramen Play is Bread Talk's take on the whole ramen phenomenon that seems to have swept through Singapore, and they have partnered with Yukihiro Kaneko's Sanpou Co. Ltd. to come up with their version.



I walked into a rather empty shop, even though it was theoretically the Sunday dinner rush. Was seated immediately, but then the waiters and waitresses seemed to be too caught up with organizing a big table for a potential group of customers, that they completely ignored me. It was only when I started tapping on my table that a manager noticed and summoned one of their staff to take my order. Else, I honestly do not know how long I would have had to wait to place my order, especially when it was essentially marked by me (one of those fill in your own order things).

I went for the signature Sanpou Tonkotsu Ramen, which offers three types of pork, including the cheek, chasu and bukatakuti. The last two are essentially belly pork cooked in different sauces. The bowl arrived quickly enough, and I was happy to have asked for the ramen to be cooked firm. I must say that the first impression was not good, since I got a rather strong smell of pork, the smell that puts me off eating the meat. Anyway, they provide fried garlic and a spicy chilli sauce, as well as spicy chives for added flavour.

The ramen was cooked firm as requested, and the broth was quite good too. Apparently the broth is made from pork bones that are boiled for twelve hours. Still less than the 24 hours that some shops do. The pork belly, both chasu and bukatakuti were rather fatty, and the cheek was not as tender and "melt-in-the-mouth" as at Santouka. Satisfying, but nothing really that special.

Rating: 6.5/10
Website: http://www.ramenplay.com.sg/
Address: #B3-04, 313@Somerset
Phone: 6634 0051
Hours: 1000 hrs - 2200 hrs
Price: $1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment