Saturday, October 23, 2010

Marutama @ The Central

I must admit that my first taste of proper ramen was at Marutama Ramen. It had been some time since I was there, and decided to make a repeat visit. The outlet at The Central is the original outlet, and to this day, I find the mall layout confusing at best. Perhaps it is the developer, Far East Organization, which also developed Orchard Central (which is just as confusing).



Ordered the Nama Karashi Ramen with an additional Ajituke Tamago. The broth that comes with the ramen is quite different, even the spicy version. I always say that it is a veritable fist in a velvet glove, because it looks so deceptively plain. Just how the chefs include the spice in it alludes me. Still, the chicken bone stock is nice and rich. The ramen is nicely al dente. I liked it so much that I ordered another portion of ramen! Sure, it does not have the pork cheek to match Santouka, but its broth and ramen are good, real good.

Was told by a Japanese that Marutama is not even a famous shop in Japan. Just how thy managed to open in Singapore and achieve cult status is a story in itself. Then again, I know exactly why I keep going back...

Rating: 8/10
Website: http://www.ma-rutama.co.jp/
Address: #03-90/91 The Central, 6 Eu Tong Sen Street
Phone: 6534 8090
Hours: 1130 hrs - 2200 hrs
Price: $1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment