Monday, March 28, 2011

Romankan Yokohama @ Takashimaya Basement Food Hall

I have meant to try the katsu at Romankan Yokohama for sometime, especially after a previous sampling of their katsu sandwich. So I found myself there the other day for dinner. Realized that the novelty of the Takashimaya Basement Food Hall has worn out, and the restaurants were quite empty. Anyway, I decided to order the Katsu Curry Set, paid for it, and found myself a seat.

The set came shortly. Aside from the token pieces of vegetables and three potato wedges, it was rice, katsu and curry, plus the side salad that consisted mainly of shredded cabbage. The curry captivated me, since you can see fibres of meat and bits of vegetable in it. It gives the curry a bit of texture and a whole lot of individuality.

On to the katsu. It was nice and crisp. A good katsu. Although I found that the katsu sauce on the table tasted of chemicals. Well, the katsu and curry combination was great. As for the salad, I did not appreciate the generous amount of mayonnaise on it (would have told them to skip it if I had known). Else, the whole set is quite a good meal.

That said, the "restaurant" is totally open, and you have to queue to pay before you get your food. That makes places like Tonkichi much nicer to go to, but comparable to Ginza Bairin in 1ON Orchard.

Rating: 7/10
Website: none
Address: #B202-04, B2 Takashimaya Food Hall, Ngee Ann City Tower A, 391 Orchard Road
Phone: 6738 2505
Hours: 1000 hrs - 2100 hrs (Sunday to Thursday)
1000 hrs - 2130 hrs (Friday and Saturday)
Price: $1/2

Original Review for Romankan Yokohama

No comments:

Post a Comment